Moving all rules to new folder with same hierarchy

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I have multiple client folders with same subfolder structure. Eg Client name, matter name, etc. I have a made rules that clean up my files and put them into the correct subfolders. But I have done this for one folder only. Now I want to replicate the rules for the other client folders. The rules mainly involve move actions. Because I have many client folders, this involves adding the new folders and then copying all the rules from the folder I have completed rules for. But then I would need to go into each new folder and redirect the destination folder of each rule.

The subfolder structure is exactly the same for each folder ie subfolders called, draft, email, court etc. So I'm hoping someone knows a way so that I don't need to manually change the destination folder for each rule.

For example I have all the rules for client x. These rules sort into the draft, email, court subfolders of client x.

I add a new monitored folder for client y, which also has the same subfolder names as client x.

I then copy all of the rules from client x to client y.

The problem is that the move rules now in client y still have the destination subfolders as client x, not client y.

So I would manually have to go into client y rules and change all of the destination folders.

And I have hundreds of folders to do this for.

Surely there is a simpler way?

Hope that makes sense.
hamish

Check the options for the Move action. There's one to copy over the folder structure.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Copying the folder structure is not what I'm needing. As I already have the folder structures in place and do not need new folders made. I just need the newly added monitored folder with the copied rules to automatically change the destination so that the subfolders refer to the subfolders with the newly monitored folder instead of the monitored folder that the rules were copied from.
hamish

Can you post a specific example?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support