Run rule if file different file exists

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Run rule if file different file exists Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:35 pm • by walkme70
Is there a way to complete the rule is a file exist in a certain location.
Basically, after dropping 100s of files into a location the rule will determine and create a folder based on the name of the file dropped. When that's complete I want to then move this folder to a specific NAS mount depending on the name.
I Have the two rules running and working, however the move doesn't wait until all the file have been sorted and processed.
So my logic was, if the rule only moves the folder when ALL files have been sorted this would solve the issue. or even when the rules 1 is not matched any longer.

Probably over thinking and you have a simple solution. I did look at applescript, but this doesn't return the value to all a decision process.

Any thought,
Many thanks.
walkme70

Re: Run rule if file different file exists Thu Sep 09, 2021 8:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
Why create a new folder only to move it? How about sorting the file directly into the folder at the final destination?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Run rule if file different file exists Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:08 pm • by walkme70
These reason is that I seem to get the -number on the end of the folder name otherwise when moving it, as there is no merge function.
walkme70

Re: Run rule if file different file exists Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:55 am • by Mr_Noodle
That would suggest that you would still move the file into the folder directly. Say the folders are all under a common folder X. You would move to folder X then use Sort into subfolder to sort into the correct folder. That action will create the folder as needed or use the existing one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support