Rules not matching anymore

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Rules not matching anymore Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:03 am • by andrej
I have a set of rules on my Downloads folder and all but one stopped working. Basically, the system is very simple:

• first rule converts all file names into lowercase (this is the only rule that still works)
    • second to 24th rule checks for extension (xls, xlsx, pdf) and for contents. Simple stuff, like Contains contain "invoice" etc. Usually I have two or three Contains conditions in order to make sure I pick the right file

When I check rule matching, the rule detects extension but it claims it does not detect the contents. This is impossible since I was using those rules for years and the contents of files is very stable. Here and there are some changes and when the rule fails, I fix it. But this time all the rules failed. Log shows nothing but succesful renanaming into lowercase.

Please advise
Andrej

P.S. Hazel version 5.0.7, OSX 10.15.7
andrej

Re: Rules not matching anymore Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:46 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you using "Contents contain" or "Contents contain match"? If the former, it may be a Spotlight issue on your machine. If you switch to the latter, does it work after that?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Rules not matching anymore Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:23 am • by andrej
After checking all my rules I can report that I am consistently using "Contents contain" and that's why rules probably don't work anymore as I have recently turned off Spotlight completely. I had a high CPU usage, heating etc. issues.

I tried to change to "Contents contain match" using “Custom Text ●” as described here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/manual/hazel/attributes-actions/attribute-reference/using-custom-attributes/custom-text-attributes/. On PDF file it was successful, but not on XLS. I cannot influence that, I still get some files prom people using XLS... However, I wonder why "Spotlight based" rule was able to pick up these patterns. Patterns are in file, I checked it with cat.
andrej

Re: Rules not matching anymore Tue Sep 07, 2021 10:34 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel does not know how to read XLS files. Spotlight relies on the app which handles those files to provide an "importer" which indexes the files on the systems behalf which is why it works there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support