Clearing Downloads from Specific Sites

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Clearing Downloads from Specific Sites Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:02 pm • by rdelrossi
Hi: I'm looking to have Hazel keep my Downloads folder tidy.

I regularly download videos from a web site. What I'm trying to do is, after a fews days, send the old videos to the Trash. My rule is predicated on 3 conditions. Does the file have an mp4 extension, was it created more than a couple days ago, and did it come for a specific web site.

No problem with the first two conditions, but I can't figure out how to do the third.

I noticed in File | Get Info that the videos have a "Where from" attribute that's filled in with a long URL (actually it looks like 2 URLs), so I tried telling Hazel to use "Where from" "Contains match" and just typed in the base web site name (i.e., www.xxx.com"), but in testing the rule I can't get it to match.

Any advice is very much appreciated. Thank you!
rdelrossi

Re: Clearing Downloads from Specific Sites Fri Aug 20, 2021 9:53 am • by Mr_Noodle
Try using the Source URL/Address attribute instead. It's based off of Where froms but is more usable.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Clearing Downloads from Specific Sites Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:51 am • by rdelrossi
Mr_Noodle wrote:Try using the Source URL/Address attribute instead. It's based off of Where froms but is more usable.

Thank you for the reply. While waiting for this message to post (I’m a new member of this forum), I discovered I could accomplish what I wanted by employing the wildcard capabilities of the search. By tuning the “anything” token after the opening URL, I was able to get Where From to work.

Thanks for a powerful and flexible tool!

— Robert
rdelrossi

Return to Support