Organising Live photos

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Organising Live photos Thu Aug 05, 2021 12:46 pm • by seulespoir
Hi,

I have been trying to sort my photos and videos on my mac.

When I exported my photos from the 'photo library', it gave me photos, videos, and videos from live photos.

They are named after the corresponding photos: ie. IMG_0000.mov (from IMG_0000.jpg).

I have sorted my photos according to its year and month,
ie.
Depth 0:
Photos

Depth 1 :

Depth 2 :
etc.

The same for videos.

However I am getting the live photo's videos into the video folder.
Also, they don't have any metadata related to the date it's created, thus cannot allocate the folders adjacent with its corresponding photos.

The only relation to its original photo is via the name, ie IMG_0001.mov >>> IMG_0001.jpg

Is there a way that I could refer to the name(that's already in the assorted folders) and organise them into the corresponding folders?

Thanks!
seulespoir

Re: Organising Live photos Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:32 am • by Mr_Noodle
Yes, look up "match patterns" and "nested conditions" in the help.

You can add conditions like:
Code: Select all
    Name matches (• file name)
    If (all) are met for (any file in the same folder)
       Extension is ....

where (• file name) is a custom text attribute defined as matching "anything". What this does is in the first condition, it will match the file name and store it in that custom attribute. In the nested condition, it will try and find another file matching that previously matched file name, plus what other conditions you add (like extension).

You'll need to play with it a bit but that should give you the basic gist of it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Organising Live photos Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:29 am • by seulespoir
Mr_Noodle wrote:Yes, look up "match patterns" and "nested conditions" in the help.

You can add conditions like:
Code: Select all
    If (all) are met for (any file in the same folder)
       Extension is ....

where (• file name) is a custom text attribute defined as matching "anything". What this does is in the first condition, it will match the file name and store it in that custom attribute. In the nested condition, it will try and find another file matching that previously matched file name, plus what other conditions you add (like extension).

You'll need to play with it a bit but that should give you the basic gist of it.

This would work if the file initially is all in the same folder, then assorted to its subfolders.
However, if it is already in the subfolders, how would I get it to scan the files that are already in them?

ie.
    Depth 0:‎‎‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎Depth 1:‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎Depth 2:
    2020‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎202001‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎IMG_0001.jpg
    ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎202002‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎IMG_0002.jpg
    ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎IMG_0003.jpg
    ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎202003‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎IMG_0004.jpg
    2021‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎202101‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎‏‏‎ ‎IMG_0005.jpg
    IMG_0001.mov
    IMG_0002.mov

I need to move IMG_0001.mov and IMG_0002.mov into folders '202001' and '202002' to where IMG_0001.jpg and IMG_0002.jpg are, but because each of the files are in different subfolders, I can't scan them. (And I have a range from 2012 through to 2021, so like 120 subfolders. Do I have to make a rule for each one of them? I just want it too loop each subfolder or subsubfolder and scan it or something, but not sure how to do them. I am also unfamiliar with script writing, although I understand it when I read off it, I just can't write it(limited understanding of applescript/javascript/shell script).
seulespoir

Re: Organising Live photos Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:36 am • by Mr_Noodle
Is there a reason why you can't base it off the date? It seems like at least one of the date attributes would match the date folder it should be sorted into.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support