File rename via lookup list?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

File rename via lookup list? Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:14 am • by Lachlan Williams
I have about 35 bank accounts (from different banks) which I like to file into folder path structure:

Loans/Description/FYxx (where xx is the financial year - in Australia our Fin year is July - June)

I've worked out ways to do this using a LOT of rules looking for content in the PDF's to determine which account number they belong to and have now got the hang of using date tokens and sorting into subfolders rules etc...(check out this gem I just saw in the forums! Genius). https://www.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6943

To do what's described above, I've had to create one rule per bank account. Each rule is different depending on the filename naming convention of the statement when it's downloaded and what the content identifier is within it to determine the account (plus some other rules to remove or add spaces, separators etc so I end up with a consistent format that includes the statement date in the filename, adds the right tags etc).

I'd ideally like to use tokens to make the sorting into the "description" subfolders dynamic. The problem is that the "description" folder (and target filename) isn't easily mapped to content in the PDF files. For example, description might contain the bank and the property address for the loan. What I want is to create a lookup table which maps the account number (as unique identifier) to a description of my choice and then use that description for both the file rename and sort into subfolder steps.

Is there a way to create a lookup like this. Example:

1234567 --> "CBA - 2 Smith St Loan"
9876543 --> "WBC - 42 Wattle Way Offset"
1648932 --> "NAB - Main Investment Account"

I can see a way to do this using the Replace Text... option a rename step (Replace "1234567" with "CBA - 2 Smith St Loan") and just have multiple Replace Text... conditions - one for each of the accounts, but that's a bit cumbersome to manage and difficult to see each sub-condition (in text replace) is which without clicking in to each and scrolling sideways with tect cursor (see screen shot). I'm pretty sure this would work (haven't test yet though).

Is there a smarter and simpler way to do this using an Excel or CSV file or text file as a lookup table so it's more easily managed?
Lachlan Williams

Re: File rename via lookup list? Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:48 am • by Mr_Noodle
I assume you are running version 5? If so, look up tables in the manual.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: File rename via lookup list? Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:07 pm • by Lachlan Williams
Mr_Noodle wrote:I assume you are running version 5? If so, look up tables in the manual.

Yes, I am using v5. Thanks for this (never even spotted that before!). I'll give it a try now. Is there a limit to how many columns or rows in the table? Do you recommend embedded or From File for best results (with larger tables)?

Thanks again...still learning and really impressed with what this software can do! Can't wait to learn the more advanced features!
Lachlan Williams

Re: File rename via lookup list? Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
If it's a large table, it might be easier to edit if it's in an external file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support