Folder structures

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Folder structures Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:53 am • by madnil
I searched the forums and could not find an answer to the following question:

Is it possible to "mirror" a folder with its subfolders and files to a destination?

I found an entry http://www2.noodlesoft.com/forums/viewt ... 1312#p5112 which gives me the impression it should be possible with version 3 (I'm running 3.0.2).

I'm not new to Hazel, but I can't figure out how to set up the rule(s). I tried several things (copy & sync), but I'm either ending up with all the files in the root of the destination folder or with duplicates.

Any help is appreciated, but I'm also fine if this functionality is not in the scope of Hazel.
madnil

Re: Folder structures Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:23 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Syncing provides an exact mirror at the other end.

Alternatively, you can use a combination of copy/sort into subfolder. Search the help for "source folder" which is the key thing to do pull this off.

Post back if you are still having problems with it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Folder structures Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:17 pm • by Mukei
Hi,

I am actually using sync folder method however I have issue when I RENAME files.
Indeed, each time I rename a file the renamed file is synced
-> I have twice the same file in the synced folder (one with old name, one with the new name).

Is there a way to manage those renaming issues so that each time I rename a file, the synced folder keeps only the renamed file?
Mukei

Re: Folder structures Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:36 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Are you syncing the file itself or the folder that contains it. If the former, then it won't work. The absence of a file is something that is a function of the containing folder so you need to have the sync action run on the enclosing folder for a proper sync.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support