Sync without deletion

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Sync without deletion Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:09 am • by svenschuldt
Hi

the manual https://www.noodlesoft.com/manual/hazel/advanced-topics/syncing-folders/ stated quite clearly that "Deletions are not synced (by default)" - which is exactly what I was looking for.
However, when I setup as sync rule files are being deleted in the destination folder if they are deleted in the source folder.

I am currently evaluating Hazel and the rule I have designed is very simple and looks like this:

I have a folder (Nayuku Primary School), which I am syncing to my Synology (Nayukutemp) and because I want to include the subfolders, I run the rule also on folder contents.
However, when I delete a file on the source it is also deleted in the destination. But I want to keep all files no matter whether they have been deleted in the source or not - as described in the manual.

What am I doing wrong here?

Thanks a lot!
svenschuldt

Re: Sync without deletion Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
I believe there is a misunderstanding here. When using the copy action, because of the nature of how rules work, you cannot set up a rule to match deleted items and then delete them at the destination.

The Sync action does handle deletions of items under the folder it is run on. You probably want to use the Copy action.

Also, you shouldn't be using "Run rules on folder contents" in this instance.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Sync without deletion Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:13 am • by svenschuldt
Mr_Noodle wrote:I believe there is a misunderstanding here.

The Sync action does handle deletions of items under the folder it is run on.

Thank you for looking into this!
I am certainly not a native speaker but this is still confusing to me. In the online documents (https://www.noodlesoft.com/manual/hazel ... g-folders/) it says:
"Deletions are not synced (by default): If a rule syncs files in the monitored folder with another folder, and then you delete an already-synced file from the monitored folder, that file will not disappear from the destination folder. That’s because Hazel’s rules normally operate only on files and folders that match your conditions, and the absence of a file that previously existed in the monitored folder is not something a condition can match."
Which I read as deletions are not synced and will not disappear from the destination folder. Is this an old documentation or is my English simply insufficient?

I have tried this now with the copy command, which works fine, thanks for the hint!
svenschuldt

Re: Sync without deletion Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:15 am • by Mr_Noodle
That description is stating how things work without the sync action. The sync action is designed to work around that problem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support