Best Practice for Hazel on 2 computers

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Best Practice for Hazel on 2 computers Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:09 pm • by themeister
I have developed a Hazel/FolderAction-Automator scheme to process pdfs of medical dictations; isolating them from other pdfs, renaming them, and emailing a copy to our billing personnel. It is complete and running well on a newly upgraded (Catalina) 2015 iMac. I dictate the cases on that system and printing to pdfwriter triggers the automation. All but the initial recipient folder of the pdfwriter files involved are iCloud-based.

I also have a MacBook Pro where I dictate and similarly create pdfs. Currently, I have Hazel monitoring its pdfwriter folder to move them to the iCloud folder that is under Hazel 'watch' on the iMac. This is where issues arise. It can work perfectly where I see the file created on the laptop, hit the first folder of the Hazel process on the iMac and finishing with the email to my colleague being sent. However, it can get stuck in that first iMac folder at times, even if the iMac is awake and Hazel never acts upon it.

Should I just duplicate the whole scheme on the laptop and avoid iCloud based folders until the final dump? Is this where 'sync' folders or rules in Hazel are helpful? Could they function to keep both schemes up to date if either was modified?
themeister

Re: Best Practice for Hazel on 2 computers Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:13 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think it's best to look into why it's not working on the iMac. Try going through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Report back with the results of that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support