"The file ... isn’t in the correct format"

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

"The file ... isn’t in the correct format" Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:57 pm • by tharpold
Since upgrading to Hazel 3.0, my Hazel log has been populated by hundreds of copies of this error message --

2012-03-04 15:40:49.373 hazelworker[800] Could not resolve path for bookmark data: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=259 "The file couldn’t be opened because it isn’t in the correct format."

Might anyone offer advice re how to track down the offending file, or make some change to Hazel settings, etc., that would eliminate this error?

Thanks,

TH
tharpold

Hard to say without more log context. It's probably one of the folders being referenced by your rules. If you see any invalid rules, open them up and make sure all the folders are valid.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Hard to say without more log context. It's probably one of the folders being referenced by your rules. If you see any invalid rules, open them up and make sure all the folders are valid.

Well, I'm at this point a pretty basic user of Hazel: I've only two rules applied to the Downloads folder, to toss duplicate files and incomplete downloads after 1 week, and I've set the Trash to delete files older than 1 week, to keep Trash size under 50 GB, and to Enable App Sweep. So, only features built into Hazel, as it were.

This error message never appeared in logs with versions 2.x of Hazel.

TH
tharpold

I suggest turning on debug logging as described here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=296

Send me output from the logs, including much more than just that one line. If you want you can email the whole log file to me. Click on the Contact Support link in the Info pane to do so.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I suggest turning on debug logging as described here: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=296

Send me output from the logs, including much more than just that one line. If you want you can email the whole log file to me. Click on the Contact Support link in the Info pane to do so.

I did that, watched the log for a few days, and then the error message went away a few days ago. Perhaps the offending file was deleted? Hazel 3.0.2 fixed some underlying problem? Not sure. I'll keep a look out for a recurrence.

TH
tharpold

That error happens because some file or folder Hazel is referencing is gone. So, either it got resolved or removed. If it's not happening now then I figure things are ok now.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support