Name Contains Not Working on Folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Name Contains Not Working on Folders Fri May 07, 2021 1:42 pm • by iampariah
A Name > Contains condition isn't working on my folders. I've copied and pasted straight from the folder name to Hazel, but I'm still getting "Rule does not match" and no effect when I Run Rules Now. Other rules DO work on objects in the same folder.

I've also tried:
  • Shorter search strings using subsets of the folder name
  • Name > Ends With

baby
iampariah

Re: Name Contains Not Working on Folders Fri May 07, 2021 6:59 pm • by iampariah
I guess I should add versions.

Hazel 5.0.6
macOS 11.2.3
iampariah

Re: Name Contains Not Working on Folders Mon May 10, 2021 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
I think the problem is the dots in the name. If you click on the red X for the "Name contains" condition, it will show you what the name is according to Hazel. My guess is that it's splitting it at the dot, since everything after a dot is considered the extension.

In such a case, you should be matching against Full Name instead of just Name.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Name Contains Not Working on Folders Tue May 18, 2021 11:53 pm • by iampariah
Mr_Noodle wrote:I think the problem is the dots in the name. If you click on the red X for the "Name contains" condition, it will show you what the name is according to Hazel. My guess is that it's splitting it at the dot, since everything after a dot is considered the extension.

In such a case, you should be matching against Full Name instead of just Name.

There are no dots in the names. macOS inserts dots in the DISPLAY of the name when the name is wider than the column width in Column View.

I can't match on Full Name because every folder has a different name.

Does Hazel match on part of a name or not? If it does, why isn't it working in this case?
Last edited by iampariah on Sat May 22, 2021 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
iampariah

Re: Name Contains Not Working on Folders Wed May 19, 2021 10:52 am • by Mr_Noodle
I'm not seeing how Full Name won't work here. Also, what does it show for the name when you click on the red X for that condition?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Name Contains Not Working on Folders Mon May 24, 2021 10:06 pm • by iampariah
Mr_Noodle wrote:I'm not seeing how Full Name won't work here. Also, what does it show for the name when you click on the red X for that condition?

Full Name did it. I apologize. I guess I misunderstood what you were suggesting.
iampariah

Return to Support