All Hazel rules stopped recognizing text in pdf's

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Can you email a test file (with no personal data) in to support that demonstrates this problem?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

brudderman wrote:I have the same problem where every rule that uses "contain" is not working. They were working fine before I shifted to a new M2 Pro Mac mini yesterday. I'm using macOS 13.2.1 and Hazel 5.2.

I am experiencing the same issue, also with a new M2 Pro Mac mini that I setup today, MacOS and Hazel versions are up-to-date.

I have attempted to make sure that HazelHelper has the Full Disk Access, but in following the instructions here https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/giving-hazel-full-disk-access-on-mojave/ I can't seem to find the option to "Show HazelHelper in Finder."
soundmix

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you email a test file (with no personal data) in to support that demonstrates this problem?

I just sent it.
brudderman

I am seeing the same problem on latest MacOS and Hazel versions. If there is anything I can do to help troubleshoot, I'd be happy to do so. I'd love to get Hazel working again.
mattt

Apologies, my issue was corrected by rebuilding Spotlight. I followed Apple's advice to add my boot drive to Spotlight privacy, and then removing it from the privacy list.

I thought Spotlight was in good shape because I could successfully search the content of PDF's that Hazel wouldn't match with a Contents Contain rule. But I later tried to search for a file by name in a Finder window, and that failed. After a Spotlight rebuild, everything is fixed.

I'm surprised Spotlight was in bad shape, because I had completed a migration to a new Mac the day before, and I thought that would start me off with a valid Spotlight index, but I guess not.
soundmix

Usually after a migration or os update, Spotlight kicks of a re-indexing. Sometimes it takes a very long time so things won't work for a while afterwards.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support