Hazel Log File

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel Log File Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:57 pm • by efuna
Hi there,

is there by any chance a possibility to create a Hazel rule that generates the Hazel log file daily and exports it to a specific folder?
efuna

Re: Hazel Log File Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you elaborate on why you need this? Hazel does have a log file which gets rotated out on a weekly basis.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel Log File Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:13 am • by efuna
Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you elaborate on why you need this? Hazel does have a log file which gets rotated out on a weekly basis.

Since i have so many rules running, i have lost overview over some actions. In order to track back all executed hazel actions, i would like to have a log file on a daily basis. It would be best to have it automatically saved as log or txt, whatever. Or even better, it would be even more fancy to have a Hazel rule, that could save log files to a specific folder.
For the log file, where can i find this on my computer? I am on macOS 10.11.6, Hazel 4.3.5 running, so everytime i view the log, console opens up. I can save the log manually, but i rather prefer this to be an automatic generated log file, which i don't have to save by hand. If being automatically saved, i would find a hazel rule to save it to a specific folder, but the log file generates way to much data for a week to be viewed once. thats why i would prefer a log file on a daily basis.
efuna

Re: Hazel Log File Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:57 am • by Mr_Noodle
In Console, you can click the "Reveal" button to show the file. To do what you want, you'd need to do a script and it would need to figure out how to start from the current day's logs each time. What it should NOT do, though, is move, remove or modify the file. Copying or reading it should be fine though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support