openmeta in 3?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

openmeta in 3? Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:14 am • by eN0ch
Hi Paul,

Great news about v3. But I just want to be certain on one point. openmeta tagging support was as I recall added as a kind of optional hack a few years ago. I never did learn whether it had become a full release feature, but it has been working for me with Hazel as originally introduced for quite a while - and I rely on it heavily.

So can I just confirm that OM support continues in v3?

Thanks.
Lance <º))><

iMac 24" 2021 M1 | macOS 14.4.1 | Hazel 5.2.1
eN0ch

Re: openmeta in 3? Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:23 pm • by steve3001
2nding this question.
Can't seem to find a way to make it work and I note that the 'keywords' option has gone.
Does this mean Hazel can't tag anymore?

Steve
steve3001

Re: openmeta in 3? Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:33 pm • by Mr_Noodle
It is still unsupported. You can enable the hack just like you did before (if you upgraded, nothing should have changed).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: openmeta in 3? Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:21 pm • by eN0ch
OK, thanks. Seems fine.

So then .. does your answer imply that openmeta's devs have never yet satisfied your earlier concerns?
Lance <º))><

eN0ch

Re: openmeta in 3? Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:34 pm • by Mr_Noodle
For the most part. I haven't checked in a while so it's possible that they fixed some of the stuff but in the end, I just don't trust them, both in motive and competence. Based on the code I've seen from the project and the horrible decision making, I can't trust any data to it nor can I encourage my users to, at least without knowing of the risks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: openmeta in 3? Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:22 am • by eN0ch
Fair enough, Paul. Your professionalism is beyond doubt.

I can only say it's worked really well for me as a humble end user who knows zip of the geekery that underlies it. I have several apps that support OM, and I'd be lost without it.

I'm not sure to what extent it's still governed by the Ironic guys who set it up at the start.
Lance <º))><

eN0ch

Re: openmeta in 3? Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:12 am • by FOOOD
I wish someone else would take up OpenMeta and bring it up to date/maintain it (isn't it open source?)
FOOOD

Re: openmeta in 3? Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:44 am • by Mr_Noodle
Back when this was first being hashed out, I offered to provide the code to fix the shortcomings but they rejected it. While one could fork the project, that would end up confusing things as there would be multiple versions of OpenMeta.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: openmeta in 3? Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 am • by FOOOD
Ah, would be cool if someone would fork it. The Ironic guys haven't touched it a very long time (years?), and it seems they've pretty much abandoned their OpenMeta apps. There are still a lot of people who like using tags to manage their apps.
FOOOD

Re: openmeta in 3? Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:03 pm • by sjk
Mr_Noodle wrote:Back when this was first being hashed out, I offered to provide the code to fix the shortcomings but they rejected it.

True indeed.
While one could fork the project, that would end up confusing things as there would be multiple versions of OpenMeta.
FOOOD wrote:Ah, would be cool if someone would fork it.

Which would create multi-version confusion, as Paul mentioned. Side effects of software fragmentation at this level could be rough for both developers and end users.

FOOOD wrote:The Ironic guys haven't touched it a very long time (years?), and it seems they've pretty much abandoned their OpenMeta apps.

I don't know if their MAS-only versions of Leap and Yep still support OpenMeta.
There are still a lot of people who like using tags to manage their apps.

I was initially enthusiastic about OpenMeta, then Ironic's resistance to making well-reasoned changes (like Paul's) and a sense that support would eventually languish were reasons I chose not to use/rely on it.

Déjà vu.
sjk

Return to Support