Process photos based on location

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Process photos based on location Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:33 pm • by sldemill
I'm trying to process a large number of photos that came from my phone camera. I take a lot of photos for work and need to separate these out from my personal photos. Fortunately, I only take work photos at 3 geographic locations so I think if I can somehow use the photos metadata to specify the desired locations and then tag them with the coordinates, I'll be able to separate them from my personal photos and place them into a separate folder. I plan on creating an archive for just the "work" photos.

I have looked on the forum and internet but have not found a solution and ask for some guidance. I am fairly new to using hazel and I don't have any experience with coding but I certainly can follow directions and try work this out with some guidance.

Thank you in advance.
sldemill

Re: Process photos based on location Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:20 am • by Mr_Noodle
Select a photo in Finder and do "Get Info" on it. You should be able to see what metadata is available for the file. That should be a good general guide as to what data is available to Hazel to filter on.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Process photos based on location Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:14 am • by sldemill
I would like to use the latitude and longitude information in the metadata to be able to filter the photos by location, however, when I try to use that information in hazel, I cannot get the condition to match. How can I do that?

I see that there are "latitude" and "longitude" options in the conditions list but it appears that the recommended format in hazel for those inputs are in decimal degrees but the common format in the photos metadata is the sexagesimal degrees (Degrees, minutes and seconds).

Can I use that format?
If not, how do I convert the sexagesimal format to decimal format and then tag the photo with that data?
sldemill

Re: Process photos based on location Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:51 am • by Mr_Noodle
This is beyond me as I don't know about how coordinates are encoded. Note that Hazel is just reading info read in by the system. You'll need to look elsewhere for the answer to this question.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Process photos based on location Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:09 pm • by sldemill
Ok. I will continue to look elsewhere for a solution, but can you tell me more about the options for latitude and longitude within hazel? They are in the "other" section. Which format are they supposed to be in? I assume the latitude and longitude tags need to be very specific for hazel to recognize them.

Thanks.
sldemill

Re: Process photos based on location Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
As mentioned, those are not provided by Hazel. Those are indexed by Spotlight and Hazel passes them along. As a result, I have no idea or control over that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support