Passing only folder name in embedded scripts

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi All,

I seem to have lost all my old rules, :oops: causing me to recreate many of them. I had a rule set up before that would watch a Compress folder for folders. It would then create a DMG archive with the name of the folder and all its contents.

Easy enough, use hdiutil to create it with an embedded script.

The issue I'm running into is when I pass $1 to the volname, it puts the entire path of the folder as the volume name. But when I pass it to the archive name $1.dmg, it works as expected.

Any idea how I can get the volname correct?

It's minor, but it irks me when I mount the DMG, and it's the entire location for the name, not just the name of the folder, which is how I had it before.

I'm open to doing this another way. I can't recall how it was set up before. If I recall correctly, I found someone who made an Automator Script that did this, and I could call that in Hazel.

Any help would be much appreciated.
MikeBowden

$1 is always the full path. Look up the man page for hdiutil. Some arguments expect paths, while some just expect a name.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Correct

The problem I'm having is that I want to pass the name of the folder to -volname, which doesn't require a full path. When I pass $1 to the name of the DMG file, it's only the name of the folder being processed. <--- Not sure why this works.

I'm trying to figure out how to get the same result for the volname as well.

I realize I didn't paste my embedded script in the first post.

hdiutil create -volname $1 -srcfolder . -ov -format UDZO $1.dmg

The above works, but when mounted, the dmg's name on the desktop is the full path of the folder at the time of making it. I can change that to Archive or whatever I want, but I would prefer it to be the name of the folder being processed. The DMG file name itself is only the name of the folder being processed.
MikeBowden

This is more of a general shell scripting issue, but look into the 'basename' command.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support