repeat processing glitch

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

repeat processing glitch Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:49 pm • by tantramar
Hi,

I’ve been using Hazel for several years now, but since setting up a new workstation recently — without Migration Assistant, for a variety of reasons — I’m seeing issues where Hazel 5 (specifically 5.0.6 under macOS 11.2.3 at this point) is repeatedly processing files. Which, obviously, is sub-optimal.

* A file gets renamed over and over, resulting in stupidly long, redundantly name files.
* A file gets moved over and over, creating hundreds or thousands of redundant copies. Compound the headache if it’s being added to something like DEVONthink Pro, or it goes unnoticed for a day or two.

Is there some global setting I’m missing somewhere? Is it related to synced rules (which I’m now using for the first time; the files being processed are not on a cloud service, so the 2 Macs in question aren’t both processing the files)?
tantramar

Re: repeat processing glitch Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 am • by Mr_Noodle
Please do not post Hazel questions in the Site/Forum section. That is for issues about this site/forum specifically.

I suspect your rule is set up such that it has a loop. You should check the logs (Help->View Logs). In general, your rules should have conditions in place to prevent this. For instance, the Rename rule should have filters to prevent it from matching files that have already been renamed.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support