Rules don't appear to be working on Download folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

HI

Got Hazel - looks great. However i can't get it to run rules in the download folder.

In the Hazel preference pane i can click on the eye icon and it will show me that files have matched the rules, but nothing happens when I tell Hazel to 'Run Rules Now'

I've tried another folder and the same rule works on that folder.

Any suggestions ?There doesn't seem to be anything obvious that i'm missing.
geekmoose

OK - not quite sure what is going on.

Enabled debugging - but wasn't reporting anything for the download folder - but was matching files as detailed above. I know I probably should have done a reboot, but this is a Mac, not Windows ;)

Did a reboot - then started reporting permission problems - but had already selected my downloads folder, - made sure i'd got full access, and clicked apply to enclosed items. Still Hazel not able to move files.

I did note that files downloaded since Hazel installed were moving.

This seems to be some weird permissions thing as the group 'everyone' has 'custom permissions' - as soon as i change everyone to 'no permissions' then Hazel will work. Running a verify permissions on my drive in case something has gone strange with a mac os x update - i don't run any other system monitoring type stuff on my machine so that is the only thing i can think of.
geekmoose

Having same problem. Please post fix, if found.
BlackCloudz

I'm not quite sure what is going on. Hazel doesn't touch permissions. Were these files transferred from another drive or did you do some sort of system upgrade recently?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Not working for me as well since upgrading to Hazel 3.

The rules work if I go manually and select "run rules now" where as previously I had a schedule to wake my mac (Lion) at 3am and woke up in the morning to all the rules been run.

I have exported my rules and re-imported the rules along with restarting the mac.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
giramassi

Are you running 3.0 or 3.0.1?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Are you running 3.0 or 3.0.1?

When was 3.0.1 released because I only downloaded Hazel on Friday night (Australia)?

I will check version when I get home in case you made a new release since Friday.

Thanks
giramassi

Just to add to this thread, I'm getting a similar issue, some folders created in downloads are being processed, some are not - all newly created. Am running the latest version.

Is it possible to downgrade? :-)
Nic
nicdjb

I think it might help if you contact me via email with copies of your rules, your rule preview and logs. See the diagnostic thread that is stickied at the top of this forum on what things to check and what info to send me.

Thanks.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

giramassi wrote:
Mr_Noodle wrote:Are you running 3.0 or 3.0.1?

When was 3.0.1 released because I only downloaded Hazel on Friday night (Australia)?

I will check version when I get home in case you made a new release since Friday.

Thanks

Upgraded to 3.0.1 last night and waited until the morning to see if the rules would run, unfortunately they did not. Hazel does run during the day if I am using the mac but will not run at scheduled wake up where logs indicates other apps are working.

Everything was fine in hazel 2 on lion
giramassi

Please email me with the requested info. I don't have enough to go on now to make any sort of assessment.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Please email me with the requested info. I don't have enough to go on now to make any sort of assessment.

Hi Mr_Noodle

I sent you an email today with my hazel logs, from what I could find only on two separate days since upgrading did hazel run rules on the folder except for the occasions when I manually kicked the rule off from the application.

Anyway hope to hear from you soon.
giramassi

Mr. Noodle, I haven't yet mailed any logs (apologies). I want to de-install and re-install before doing so. It's weird, if I open a new folder within my 'Downloads' rules immediately run (unrar) but then stop (fails to copy extracted file).

I also want to try creating a new folder with a new rule set and see what happens. Will update my findings if useful.
Nic
nicdjb

First off, update to the latest version. Not that I have specific fixes in there for this. I just want to make sure we are all on the same page.

Now try the following:
- Export the rules for the folder in question.
- Remove the folder from Hazel.
- Add it back in.
- Import your rules.

See if that does anything. If not, try this:

- In Finder, rename the folder to something else.
- Rename it back.

After that see if Hazel starts getting file events.

Report back with your findings.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Has there been a fix issued..... Or did you guys figure out what was happening?
I was about to upgrade and after reading this and another thread I quickly changed my mind.
I LOVE this app. The last thing I want to do is pay to have issues with it....
nate

Next

Return to Support