Rules don't appear to be working on Download folder

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I don't know until people post back with feedback as to whether the above worked. I do have one case where a user renamed the folder and it started working. If that's the case, it points to a bug in the OS X kernel, from what I've been able to gather.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:I don't know until people post back with feedback as to whether the above worked. I do have one case where a user renamed the folder and it started working. If that's the case, it points to a bug in the OS X kernel, from what I've been able to gather.

No it's not working, you might want to check if all the effected parties are on Lion. I have even uninstalled and removed all associated files and logs and reinstalled from scratch but still not working.

The rules will work manually or even if you open the logs they will start.

Everything worked fine on the old version.
giramassi

Also, I can't stress enough that you email me if you are having a problem. Not everyone is having the same problem so while I may fix it for one person, it may not be what you are experiencing.

Also, nate, keep in mind this is affecting a very small number of people. You can also try running the trial to see if it affects you at all.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Ok, I've worked with giramassi to solve his problem. There seems to be a bug in the scheduler resulting in Hazel not triggering when it's supposed to. I'll have a patch at the end of the week.

If you are having this problem, again, contact me via email. Do not assume that this patch will fix your problem. Yours may be different so I suggest you email me so I can analyze it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

@Mr_Noodle:

I have noticed the exact same behavior, but would prefer not to share my log with you - can I still get ahold of that patch you mention?

One other thing that I noticed is that actually checking the log seems to activate the trigger as then, all of a sudden, the rules are executed.

I only have one rule applied to the Download folder: move all files that have not been added in the last 1 hour to another folder (where further processing happens).

As far as I can tell the Download folder is the only folder affected from this "behavior". Also, like others have mentioned, this started after upgrading to version 3.

I would appreciate being able to try the patch!

Thanks!

-J. P.
netjpk

The "patch" was already released as 3.0.3. Are you running that version?

I will not post public links to these patches for various reasons. You really do need to email me. If you are a user, then it's not like I don't have your info already.

I'm not sure how viewing the logs would trigger the rules. I think it might just be a coincidence.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:The "patch" was already released as 3.0.3. Are you running that version?

I will not post public links to these patches for various reasons. You really do need to email me. If you are a user, then it's not like I don't have your info already.

I'm not sure how viewing the logs would trigger the rules. I think it might just be a coincidence.

OK, thanks for your reply!

Yes, I am running 3.0.3, and, yes, maybe me opening the log triggering Hazel's actions was a fluke... I just saw a flurry of action in the log as I was opening it...

Sorry, but it sounds a bit unnerving to read that you have my info already... is Hazel sending user info (and logs) back to HQ???

-J. P.
netjpk

No, no personal info is sent. I was assuming you were a paid customer, which requires an email when you purchase. Sorry if I freaked you out there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I am as well having problems with my download folder. A simple rule to move .pdf extensions (or even Kind: PDF) to move to another folder doesn't work. How would I go about sending you my log file so you can check this out?

I get an error in my log even with no rules running saying:

2012-03-28 17:36:43.855 hazelworker[482] Warning: predicted fire time is in the past
2012-03-28 17:36:51.979 hazelworker[482] ****PREDICTION CALCULATIONS FROM DATE 2012-03-07 02:26:22 +0000 ARE TAKING UNEXPECTED NUMBER OF CYCLES. ABORTING
MeyerMED

Click on the Contact Support button in the Info section.

Attach any rules as well. Also, turn on debug mode as outlined in the sticky article near the top of this forum.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Support