wait to act on all downloaded images

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

wait to act on all downloaded images Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:37 am • by mendel
I have a group of images that I download sequentially and which I want Hazel to act on. However, I want it to act on them all at once rather than one at a time. How do I make Hazel wait to activate on all the images?

Of note:

- There is a different number every time
- the filenames are not really of any use
- I can't always predict how long the download process will take (though usually it's anywhere from 5 minutes to 30 minutes)

Ultimately, I would like to do three steps: 1. move all the images to a folder then 2. run a terminal command on the *group* of images (which outputs a PDF) and 3. move that PDF to a new folder.
mendel

Re: wait to act on all downloaded images Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:54 am • by Mr_Noodle
Without knowing how many images there will be and whether the images are finished downloading, I don't see a good way to do this. You'll have to add some sort of indicator that Hazel can pick up on in this case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: wait to act on all downloaded images Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:09 am • by mendel
Ok, thanks. I am thinking that maybe something like this will work:

date added is not in the last 30 minutes
date added is in the last 2 hours

I think this would allow for the delay while still hopefully catching all of them. Could you help on the next steps, how would I get Hazel to move them to a folder then run a script on said folder, then move the new pdf?
mendel

Re: wait to act on all downloaded images Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can use the Sort into subfolder action to move them into a folder. You'd need a separate rule to match the resulting folder to run a script on it and then another rule to match the resulting PDF and move that.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support