Issues upgrading to V3 (solved)

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:47 pm • by blodwyn
Just in case anyone else gets issues upgrading to V3...

I downloaded the demo version OK and it replaced my V2 prefpane OK
Went to website and purchased the update OK
Downloaded the new license file OK
Double-clicked the license file
Hazel prefpane opened and I noticed the expiry date hadn't changed, and Hazel had stopped running
Clicking the 'Start Hazel' button didn't do anything
I thought I might uninstall and reinstall, but running in demo mode doesn't allow you to export your rules (why?)
Repeating the double-click on the license file didn't do anything
Tried dragging the license file onto the Hazel window and this worked. Hazel now registered, but still not running.
Checking the Hazel log revealed that Hazel was having trouble talking to the helper application, so I opened up Activity Monitor and quit the HazelHelper application. This time when I pressed the 'Start Hazel' button, it started up OK and is now running normally.
blodwyn

Re: Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:49 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Yeah, there are glitches sometimes between the pane and the helper. Especially when updating when everything is in flux and with System Preferences itself being nutty at times, the best thing to do in these cases is to kill the helper. If you load the pane again, it will restart the helper.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:16 am • by craggles
Hi,

I have a similar problem...

I can load the license file just fine, it thanks me for registering and the expiry date is removed.

However, after quitting System Prefs and launching them again, the license is back to the demo expiry again.

I've tried quitting the helper in the activity monitor at various combinations with the System Prefs app (being quit, launched, with the Hazel pane being active while I do it or just on the Sys Pref index) to no avail. :(
craggles

Re: Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:45 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you check your Library/Application Support/Hazel folder? See if there's a file called "license" in there? Also, check the permissions on that folder and see if any of the files in there have been modified recently. If not, then something is precluding Hazel from writing in there.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:48 pm • by craggles
An uninstall and a re-install of the pref pane seems to have done the trick.

I was very hesitant to try that as I had many Hazel v2 rules set up but I managed to export all my rules while it still thought I was registered and now I can quit and reopen my Sys Prefs with Hazel happily accepting that I have indeed purchased the upgrade! :)
craggles

Re: Issues upgrading to V3 (solved) Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:03 pm • by craggles
Oh wow - I must have been typing when you replied.

The Licence file was in there (and the little eye icon next to the 'Licence to...' bar led me right to there). This was the case before I reinstalled it as well.

The permissions of the folder seemed okay but I allowed all uses permissions and blasted an 'apply to enclosed items' for good measure. But everything seems to be going well prior to that anyway since the reinstall.

I'm eager to fiddle with all the new functionality but it's time for bed here in the UK - at least I have something to look forward to tomorrow. :)
craggles

Return to Support