Hazel thinks "Image" files are "Documents"

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel thinks my "Image" files are "Documents". Why?

When I view "Rule Status", it says that ".jpg"/".gif" files "Rule Matched" with "Document" file types, not "Image". Is this a bug? On v5.0.5 but this has been happening on v4 and for almost a year. Just now made an account because this is driving me crazy. Please help!
augustrushrox

Hazel uses categorizations defined by the system. Also note that all images are also documents.

What does it show in the preview when you look at the Kind? If you select the file in Finder and do Get Info, what does it show there?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

After running rules for years without trouble, I've upgraded to V5 happily. Now Hazel has started changing the file type on my jpegs from image type to document type. The extension remains the same. The Finder now shows them without previews as "Text Edit Document" type. Double clicking, they open in Preview as they should. However, they no longer match rules that expect to see image type. Argh. What is this? If there is something that I can do to prevent it, something new that I need to know, then it is not apparent. I've reviewed these rules, they are not different from what I used in V4.
spudfish

If Finder shows them as text documents instead of images, then the issue is deeper than that. The only way Hazel can change the type is if you have it change/remove the extension. Since you say the extension is intact, then there is something else going on with your system.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support