Ok. I Surrender. Brain. Fried. Need. Lifeliine.

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

So wow. I'm new at this thing called Hazel, and the more I read the more baffled I seem to get. I would be hugely grateful for some guidance. And I think this is probably a pretty simple tax for Hazel...though not for me.

I have a large folder with lots of nested subfolders. It is a document repository for my company, and other ppl are constantly adding files. It lives on Dropbox, but I have the whole shebang synced locally on my HDD. We'll call it "Cases."

But I need a clone of Cases on my HDD because I use DevonThink for my work, and no one else does. DevonThink docs are indexed versions of what is in Clone. So DevonThink watches Clone in the background and anything that gets added to Clone gets indexed to DevonThink. Hazel watches Cases and when anything is ADDED to Cases, Hazel will copy that over to Clone.

I do NOT want them synced to the point where deletions in Cases are also synced to Clone. I just want anything ADDED to Cases to also be added to Clone, and most importantly, to the correct subfolder (or sub-sub folder) inside Clone. I also add my own docs to both Cases and Clone, but I don't want what I add to Clone or DevonThink to get synced over to Cases. Basically, Clone is just my personal working version of Cases and I don't want my modifications to screw up the company master files.

TIA!
skwint8539

You can add a rule to copy files over. Something like "date added is after date last matched, Move to clone". In the move action, there's an option to copy over the folder structure, which you want to do.

The tricky part is that the files are in subfolders. You'll need a separate rule to tell Hazel to go into subfolders. Check the manual as there's a whole chapter dedicated to this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks. Coming back to this after a brief hiatus.

I created a rule with syntax from the manual. (I would attach screenshot but don't see that possibility.) Under "do the following to the matched file or folder" I have selected "sync into folder xxx"

But it's MOVING things, not syncing.
skwint8539

Can you post the whole rule?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Is there a way to just post a screenshot? Probably easier for both of us and less likely to set off a time sucking series of questions and clarifications.
skwint8539

You'll need to use a third party hosting service. If you don't have one that you already use, you can use imgur.com
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support