PDFs missing Source URL/Address attribute on Big Sur

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I recently upgraded to Big Sur and Hazel 5 and noticed that my PDF processing rules are not going through. I have a few rules that look at the Source URL/Address of a PDF and then act on it. It looks like this information is not present in the metadata of PDF files on Big Sur. Has anyone else here faced this issue/have a workaround?
Anjadekar

The troubleshooting guide here may help: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/

Note that that field is only set by certain programs. Apple ones, like Safari and Mail, should set it but third party browsers, for instance, may not.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks for looking into this, @Mr_Noodle. It looks like PDFs downloaded from Apple Mail on Big Sur no longer have this field/metadata. I wonder if others have noticed this too and, if so, if there is any potential workaround. Could this be a bug in Mail? FYI, I am on the latest version of Big Sur (11.2.1) at the time of posting this.
Anjadekar

How are you saving the attachments? Are you dragging them out? Using the menu? It might be worth trying different methods to see if it works for one of them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I was saving them the way I've been doing it for years, by dragging and dropping them onto the Desktop. I tried saving them from the File menu and from the Save Attachment option in Mail but to no avail.
Anjadekar

Possibly a bug with Mail then. I'd suggest contacting Apple/filing a bug.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support