Strange behaviour after renaming .mp4

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Strange behaviour after renaming .mp4 Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:57 pm • by astro
Hi all,

I renamed some of my TV episodes files (extension .mp4) with the pattern matching function.

After the rule ran the folder it changed the kind of the files to document.

When I run it on the Terminal it also says: kMDItemKind = "Document"

I only renamed it. Is the extension part of the name?

When I use "Get info" in Finder it also says: Kind: Document and Open with: TextEdit(default)

BUT when I double-click on the file, it opens with VLC (thank God :roll: ) BUT with the old file name.

When I check Media Information in VLC, the Title is still the old Name. But location is the path to the new file name w/o extension.

Am I missing something? Is there metadata to overwrite as well? Do I need to make the extension part of the new file name when renaming?
astro

Re: Strange behaviour after renaming .mp4 Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you are using the Rename action, you need to include the extension. It is there by default so removing it will remove the extension from the file.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Strange behaviour after renaming .mp4 Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:06 pm • by astro
Mr_Noodle wrote:If you are using the Rename action, you need to include the extension. It is there by default so removing it will remove the extension from the file.

Thanks for pointing that out. I seem to have overlooked that in the wiki. I assumed the extension is the difference between `name`and `full name`.

But I do now face another problem:

Since I renamed the files according to my pattern, I thought it would be easy to rename them with "name".mp4,

but Hazel doesn´t accept `Kind is Document`condition even though the Finder says it is a Document.

The preview window gives me the "rules don´t match"- error message : Kind -Document.

Hazel also doesn´t recognize the original file format .mp4.

Now I seem to be kind of stuck with the Document file type. I still can open them with the vlc Player, so no damage done but still...
astro

Re: Strange behaviour after renaming .mp4 Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:31 am • by Mr_Noodle
Without the extension, I'm guessing the operating system can't classify the file at all. I'd used something other than "Kind" to match those files. Maybe something like "Extension is blank" (and "Kind is not folder" to filter out folders).
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support