Compare files and archive all but the newest version

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

Adobe After Effects allows me to "increment and save" files which results in a duplicate file with an _n suffix eg. AEProject becomes AEProject_1, then AEProject_2 and so on. After a while it gets messy and so I'd like to automate the process of moving all but the most recent version of AEProject into a subfolder.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
stormer

Try "<<some date attribute>> is not among the X most recent, Move to <<trash, somewhere else?>>"
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Try "<<some date attribute>> is not among the X most recent, Move to <<trash, somewhere else?>>"

Oh dear, does this involve scripting? Probably should have mentioned I'm completely new to Hazel and if it is indeed scripting I'd be utterly out of my depth. Is there a sample script around that comes close that I could take a look at and try to figure it out from there?
stormer

Not a script. This is done via the built-in conditions. I just used the angle brackets (<<<>>>) to indicate stuff you need to fill in yourself.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Hi, great, that works. Thanks very much.

However, I still can't figure out how to get Hazel to consider only groups of files that share the same name. For instance, in this image it should move only the red highlighted files to the "ARCHIVE" folder. Is that possible?
https://imgur.com/mNB2ofC
stormer

You can add another condition to match by name. If that condition is under the same nesting as the the one I mentioned above, they should be taken in tandem.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support