Potential memory leak in Hazel 5

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Potential memory leak in Hazel 5 Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:51 pm • by Xipper
I am on Catalina and see `hazelworker` memory consumption grow and grow, I usually restart the service when it gets to ~1.6-1.9GB as that is when it starts becoming noticeable as my laptop becomes memory bound. It ends up being the highest memory consuming process on my system, both by total memory and by Private Memory detail.

This seems to occur within ~3-days of previously restarting it, I have been having issues with my system having kernel panics due to out of memory issues and am wondering if Hazel is a contributing factor. I had similar issues with Hazel 4 and had a launchd script that would just restart Hazel daily to avoid it.

My rule set is very limited and very basic, probably not even enough to truly justify paying for Hazel :lol: The only "complex" rule I have is one that calls an embedded AppleScript, the rest are all very basic single folder actions against individual files.
Xipper

Re: Potential memory leak in Hazel 5 Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:30 am • by Mr_Noodle
First off, please do not post in the Forum/Site Discussion forum unless you want to discuss this site or forum. I've moved your post here where it's more appropriate.

Next time this happens please do the following:

- Launch Activity Monitor. Find the process in question. Note its PID.
- Do "Sample Process" and send me the output.
- In Hazel's "Info" section, click on "View Log"
- In the search field, enter "[XXXX]" where XXXX is the PID noted earlier. Send me that output.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support