Moving contents of subfolders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Moving contents of subfolders Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:30 am • by JasonNewton
hello everyone,

Firstly, I have looked very closely at the tutorial for sub-folders but I just cannot follow it. I'm not that bright, to be honest.

What I would like to do is monitor a folder. Then whenever a new folder is added to that folder, I need Hazel to look in the contents of all these folders and move the media to the Desktop.

The problem I cannot solve is that (apart from the folder I am monitoring) I never know the names of these added folders in advance.

Sorry to bother everyone over the festive period.
JasonNewton

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:20 am • by JasonNewton
I have this rule, but it's just moving the folder to the desktop rather than the images in the folder.

JasonNewton

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:07 am • by Mr_Noodle
That rule is telling Hazel to (a) go into subfolders at the top level and then (b) move that subfolder to the Desktop. If you want to move the files, then create a separate rule to move the files. There's no way to do that in a single rule.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:31 am • by JasonNewton
Mr_Noodle wrote:That rule is telling Hazel to (a) go into subfolders at the top level and then (b) move that subfolder to the Desktop. If you want to move the files, then create a separate rule to move the files. There's no way to do that in a single rule.

Ok. Thanks for the clarification. My problem is that the folder I wish to move the contents from is never known in advance. I don't think there is a way to to set a rule when you don't know the name of the folder.

Folders that arrive in the folder called 'imgding' are never known in advance.
JasonNewton

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
That's fine. You can set the conditions of the rule which goes into subfolders as generic or specific as you like. You can have it go into all subfolders (Kind is Folder), or specify by name, subfolder level, or any other criteria pertaining to the folder.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:45 am • by JasonNewton
Mr_Noodle wrote:That's fine. You can set the conditions of the rule which goes into subfolders as generic or specific as you like. You can have it go into all subfolders (Kind is Folder), or specify by name, subfolder level, or any other criteria pertaining to the folder.

I understand but I don't see any action I can perform on the folder to move its contents somewhere else. Sorry. A bit clueless, to be honest.
JasonNewton

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:18 am • by Mr_Noodle
You need a separate rule to operate on the files. Have a rule match the files and do what you want with them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:40 pm • by JasonNewton
Mr_Noodle wrote:You need a separate rule to operate on the files. Have a rule match the files and do what you want with them.

Okay, I have it set-up now. Thank you for your help and time. :D
JasonNewton

Re: Moving contents of subfolders Wed Jan 06, 2021 12:51 pm • by dealtek
JasonNewton wrote:
Mr_Noodle wrote:You need a separate rule to operate on the files. Have a rule match the files and do what you want with them.

Okay, I have it set-up now. Thank you for your help and time. :D

I could also use some help with this. Can you post the rules - so we can see how you processed the files that were inside the subfolder?

UPDATE - OK I think I have it now. the next rule does the processing (on the folder contents). Please disregard.
dealtek

Return to Support