Hazel 5 - Preview

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hazel 5 - Preview Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:49 pm • by Pelorus32
I'm a big Hazel fan and a big thank you for Hazel 5...I like it.

However, I want to be sure I understand the new Preview function...because I don't like it as I currently understand it.

Can I check I have this correct:

Preview is only available from a menu item or keyboard shortcut, there is no button on the rules screen as per Hazel 4?
    Preview acts on all rules for the selected folder when triggered - including disabled rules, rather than the chosen rule as with Hazel 4?
    Preview is painfully slow where you have a number of rules for the selected folder?

It feels like the one thing that's a backward step for Hazel 5...that's if I understand it correctly.

Regards
Mike
Pelorus32

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:39 am • by Pelorus32
I'm having a real issue with the Preview function - it seems extraordinarily fragile.

If I choose "Preview" from the menu for a folder it will run once. It is then impossible to run Preview on another folder without quitting Hazel and restarting. If you try to run Preview on another folder it does not focus on that folder and will not allow you to select that folder or any folder - they are all greyed out.

Is this a known bug?
Pelorus32

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Wed Nov 18, 2020 12:35 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post a screenshot of that?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:21 pm • by Pelorus32
Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you post a screenshot of that?

https://app.box.com/s/b9s90qqf6snksp3633bs6dr2xyrzmgxe
Pelorus32

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks, will look into it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:34 am • by Pelorus32
Mr_Noodle wrote:Thanks, will look into it.

Thanks, it appears that 5.0.1 using the toolbar button works OK.

I would have expected that the preview would have focused on the selected folder, but it doesn't. It opens to the last folder previewed and you have to navigate to the folder you selected to preview.
Pelorus32

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:04 pm • by Pelorus32
I'm afraid the same issue still exists in 5.0.1 - after using Preview once you cannot again use it without quitting the app as l folder/file options are greyed out.

Pelorus32 wrote:
Mr_Noodle wrote:Thanks, will look into it.

Thanks, it appears that 5.0.1 using the toolbar button works OK.

I would have expected that the preview would have focused on the selected folder, but it doesn't. It opens to the last folder previewed and you have to navigate to the folder you selected to preview.
Pelorus32

Re: Hazel 5 - Preview Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:31 pm • by ikomrad
Pelorus32 wrote:I'm afraid the same issue still exists in 5.0.1 - after using Preview once you cannot again use it without quitting the app as l folder/file options are greyed out.

I ran into the similar issue. The cause wasn't Hazel, it was Spotlight having an outdated file index. If that is the problem, when you go to preview and search for a file to test against, the files in there results will be grayed out because they are not where finder is saying their are at ( because of the outdated file index).

There is a possible cause, though there may be other issues that can cause the file to be grayed out.
ikomrad

Return to Support