Tag all content in subfolder based on top folder name

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi

I want to tag all files folders (and subsequent subfolders and files) with one tag called "KVIK" the some parts of the top folder's name has "KVIK" in it.

So - if a top folder is called e.g. "KVIK programs", I want to tag that top folder with "KVIK", but I also want to tag ALL subfolders (and their subfolders) AND all files in ALL subfolders with "KVIK".

Can this be done?
jensjakobsen

Are there other tags? Is it only the "KVIK programs" tag or any tag that the top level folder has?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

So - all top folders may, or may not have a tag called "KVIK".

The example "KVIK Programs" refers to a folder not a tag.

Ideally I would like for a Hazel rule to be applied to my HOME folder, (CMD + SHIFT + H), and the Hazel rule would crawl through all folders and sub-folders and it should:

1: Detect and TAG all folders that contains the name "KVIK" (also if there are no top folders containing the name "KVIK")
    2: Tag all sub folders and files once a top folder contains the name "KVIK"
    3: Crawl to the bottom of all the sub folders once a folder contains the name "KVIK", and tag anything on its way (files and folders)
jensjakobsen

Sorry, misread your post. Is this a one time operation or ongoing? It's a bit dangerous and very resource-intensive to have Hazel monitor your whole home folder and have it descend into subfolders. You might want to consider creating a Smart Folder and having Hazel monitor that.

You can create a rule that will tag a file based on its parent using nested conditions once you have the above sorted out.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Thanks Mr. Noodle - I would want this to be an on-going operation, but I could do with a smart folder. Does it mean that I have to find the actual smart search file normally located at "~/Library/Saved Searches"?

Thanks.
jensjakobsen

Yes. You can then have Hazel monitor that and apply rules to the results of the search.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support