Using Hazel to Tag Student Assignments as Needs Grading

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi, everyone!

I am in need of serious help. I am a professor and I'm wanting to use Hazel to tag assignments as "Needs Graded." What I've done is create a folder for each of my courses, and inside of that folder is a folder called Students. Inside of that one is a folder for each student, and inside their folder is a folder for each assignment. The file I want to tag would have this file path, for example: Students > Student Name > Activity 1 > Pre-Lab.pdf

I've gotten so far as having the file tagged as Needs Grading, using the run on folder contents rule; the problem is, once I untag the file after I grade it, it re-tags the file again when the rule runs. I need the file to stay in the same location (so student can view the written feedback I'm adding with my Apple Pencil via Markup). For some reason I can't wrap my brain around how to achieve this. Maybe if I tag each file as graded, and then add that as a rule "is not tagged graded??"

Any help would be much appreciated!
bchem

Yes, you'll need to add an indicator that you filter on in this case. If the file matches the rule, then Hazel will process it so you need to do something to make it not match anymore.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I think I might have fixed it! I set it to the kind is not a folder > date added is after yesterday > tags is blank > and tags did not change. It seems to be working so far.
bchem

Return to Support