New to Hazel, need a bit of guidance

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

New to Hazel, need a bit of guidance Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:40 pm • by arroway78
Hi there — I'm currently trying Hazel out to see if it meets my needs. I have tried to set up a few rules, but I've run into challenges achieving the desired result.

Here's my situation:

I have a desktop folder of current project work that I'd like to keep synced across multiple locations:

- The desktop folder, which houses the original project files
- An iCloud folder, which backs up the desktop folder (and which I'll work in remotely, via mobile devices, on some occasions)
- Three external physical hard drives
- A local Dropbox folder, which syncs to the cloud

I'm trying to determine how to best ensure this work remains identical in each of these places.

Most days, I create project files on my desktop machine. Some days I'll access them remotely, via iCloud, and make changes (which then sync with the desktop files). The external drives and Dropbox folder are strictly for backup purposes. (I like lots of redundancy.)

Would the most reliable approach be to create rules that sync the desktop folder and all its contents regularly across all of these locations? Or would it be more rational to look for any new or edited files within the desktop folder, and then copy those same changes to all other locations?

I'm also a bit worried about the existing sync behavior between the desktop folder and iCloud, and how Hazel's rules might muddy that process. I'm a little concerned about Hazel running rules before the desktop folder and iCloud have gotten in sync, potentially resulting in lost work. But maybe that's a separate issue to consider.

Any advice or guidance would be enormously appreciated!
arroway78

Re: New to Hazel, need a bit of guidance Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:00 am • by Mr_Noodle
It looks like you need two-way sync, in which case, I suggest software specifically designed for that. Hazel's Sync action only does a one-way sync and is not suitable for two-way.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: New to Hazel, need a bit of guidance Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:11 am • by arroway78
Mr_Noodle wrote:It looks like you need two-way sync...

That's really helpful. Do you know any software I should check out?
arroway78

Re: New to Hazel, need a bit of guidance Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
Maybe Chronosync? I don't have first-hand experience with any so just going by things I have heard of.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support