Issues with writing & retaining comments

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Issues with writing & retaining comments Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:52 pm • by Elleo
Hi NoodleSoft,
I've been working with Hazel, Applescript & Synched folders to auto add renamed notes to my Evernote Notebooks. The only thing that has been an item is that Finder Comments don't appear to synch into Synch folders. I've found a workaround by copying files instead but wondered if this was a bug or default behavior? Thanks - really loving Hazel. :D
Elleo

Is Hazel moving the files or your AppleScript? Can you provide more details about your workflow and rules?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am • by Elleo
The Applescript runs outside of Hazel & just places new files (with comments already inside) into Hazel folder 1. Then Hazel renames the new files in folder 1 and synchs them into Hazel folder 2. The renamed files in folder 1 retain their comments but the synched files in folder 2 do not.
Using the Copy function, files in folder 2 retain comments.
I tried the tag function with Synch (which does retain) but couldn't get it to read back to comment (as a"Unnamed dynamic" function).
Thought it was worth finding out if there is a bug or some limitations with the comment feature.
Running Mac os High Sierra. Also, Folder 2 is located in Dropbox.
Elleo

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:08 am • by Mr_Noodle
How about if you move the files manually using Finder? Do the comments stick then? Are the folders on the same drive?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:21 pm • by Elleo
Yes, the comments retain if they are pulled over manually, and the files and folders are on the same drive. It is only an issue with running the Rule SYNCH. I've used the rule SYNCH successfully with Tags, color labels etc in other workflows. This issue is only with comments. It may be a Mac issue. If it isn't being reproduced by any other users it may be specific to High Sierra.
Elleo

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:10 am • by Mr_Noodle
Is there anything special about either folder? Like are they part of a cloud syncing service (iCloud, Dropbox, etc.)?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:17 am • by Elleo
Yes both folders are located in Dropbox.
Elleo

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:09 am • by Mr_Noodle
As a test, you might want to try having one, or both of the folders not be on Dropbox and see if that affects things.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:03 pm • by Elleo
Ok I tested with 2 Desktop folders with SYNCH and comments disappear in there as well. I'm not sure if it's just High Sierra. I will try to run a test on another machine running a newer OS & post findings back here.
Elleo

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:16 am • by Elleo
Update- I've tested this on another machine running a newer OS (MOJAVE) and the comments disappear there as well. This is when using SYNCH.I've tried running the rule in multiple ways both on local folders and dropbox folders and the comments always disappear for folder SYNCHS. I hope this might get logged as a hazel bug.
Thanks.
Elleo

Have you tried using the Copy action instead?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Issues with writing & retaining comments Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:09 pm • by Elleo
Yes It works with Copy- that is how I am running everything at the moment
Elleo

Return to Support