Identifying Bold and All Caps in PDFs

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Identifying Bold and All Caps in PDFs Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 am • by lycanshinobi
Hi everyone!
I recently downloaded Hazel and thought it would be great to rename pdfs sent from my job. The idea is to recognize the title of the memo and use it as its filename. Every memo is formatted in a different way (depending on who writes it), so I've had a tough time using pattern match in Hazel. Here's an example:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GtKQVn4IZGgrDIVXtRcqYnobyQ0-0nqZ/view?usp=sharing
*The title I'm trying to identify is at the bottom of the image.

Luckily, all memos sent are already OCRd. Is there a way that Hazel can recognize/match bold text or words using all caps in the title? I hope someone can help; I really wanted this to work.

Thanks in advance!
lycanshinobi

Re: Identifying Bold and All Caps in PDFs Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
Hazel does case-insensitive matches and it doesn't have access to the formatting, like bolding, so in this case you'll need some other software that is formatting aware to do this.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Identifying Bold and All Caps in PDFs Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am • by lycanshinobi
Thanks for the quick reply! Do you know of any great freeware (or affordable) apps on MacOS that can achieve case-sensitive or bold recognition?

*Especially some sort of script that can help with this.
lycanshinobi

Re: Identifying Bold and All Caps in PDFs Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
You might want to look up commandline programs that process PDFs. You can then hook that up via a script.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

I'll check that out. Thank you!
lycanshinobi

Return to Support