Deleting invisible ".QT" files on Dropbox

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Deleting invisible ".QT" files on Dropbox Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:26 am • by alex_cutter
Hi all,

I was referred to your software via a thread on Dropbox.

I'm exporting QuickTIme files from Final Cut Pro directly to a Dropbox folder. I've found that doing so creates an invisible temp file (with the .QT prefix) equal in size to the actual video file. I'm using OSX 10.6.7.

Obviously, when dealing with files with sizes up to 1GB, this creates issues. The problem does not happen when I export to a local folder, and then move the file to Dropbox. However, that creates an extra step in my workflow that I'd like to avoid.

I set up a rule to trash any files that start with ".QT", but it doesn't seem to be working. I think it may be due to assigning the rule to a folder that contains sub folders. I've attached an image that shows the rule I created, as well as the folder structure I applied the rule to.

I also tried a test using a folder without any subfolders, and still couldn't get the rule to work. I checked the log and saw the following:

2011-12-06 09:02:09.352 hazelfolderwatch[5910] File .QT-15a3-cb038a69-bfffde4c-00 is busy. Skipping for now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
AC

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59773208@N04/6465937667/
alex_cutter

Check the Tips forum for the sticky article on hidden defaults. The "ScanInvisibles" setting should do what you want.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support