How to move files up the directory structure?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

How to move files up the directory structure? Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:16 pm • by HaroldH
I have been going through the Help files and this forum, but I haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

I am trying to automate the workflow with Hazel that takes the output of my ScanSnap files that are OCR'd by ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap (Mac edition). I wait for the output of the latter and recognize it by the field Content Creator being "ABBYY FineReader for ScanSnap (Mac edition)".
Then Hazel picks up the file from the Incoming directory, puts it into Evernote with an Applescript and finally puts the file into the directory with the year it was processed in.
The last step uses the function Sort into Subfolder and is causing the trouble.

The directory structure that I am using is:

---> My ScanSnap (home of my scanfiles)
-----> Incoming (here ScanSnap and ABBYY put their output files
-----> 2009 (here is the final destination of each pdf-file
-----> 2010
-----> 2011
etc.

In order to get the file in the right directory I have tried the following:
    source folder▸▸date created
    ../date created
    /../date created
    source folder/../date created
But the "/../" seems to be interpreted as text, so I see that it creates a directory with /../ in its name

So what is the secret to move (or copy) files to relative paths?
HaroldH

How about just using the move action to move it to the "enclosing folder" (it's in the pop-up), then use sort into subfolder?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:How about just using the move action to move it to the "enclosing folder" (it's in the pop-up), then use sort into subfolder?

That is not the solution for my problem, as it doesn't create subfolders according to the year it is added. It requires the folder where the file is moved to to exist already. This hinders automation.
Any other suggestion?
HaroldH

You move it up to the enclosing folder and then use Sort into Subfolders to get it into the dated folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:You move it up to the enclosing folder and then use Sort into Subfolders to get it into the dated folders.

Simply brilliant.
It was my mistake to think that once Hazel had moved the file further actions would terminate, but they don't!
Thanks for a very intelligent piece of software.
HaroldH

Return to Support