Move files from DVD

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Move files from DVD Thu May 07, 2020 2:06 pm • by Blutack
Please help as I'm very new to Hazel!

I have a MBP and an iMac that I have been using for the last 5 years, albeit very inefficiently as I'm no computer whizkid.
My 'Filing' system is very sporadic and during Lockdown wish to tidy things up.

Can someone please help with a rule to sort out files & folders that I have stored on CD's & DVD's?

I have loads of old data on said, Photos, Music, Documents & Spreadsheets, that I would like to move into one location before I sort and dump.

How I see it;

Insert CD into external drive and Hazel scans the content, creates a folder in a Dropbox Folder called 'From CD's", create a sub Folder called 'CD1' and then sorts and copies the content into further sub folders, Photos, Music, Documents, Spreadsheets & Other. once completed, Ejects the CD and waits for the next insertion!

Obviously, this rule needs to be turned on and off depending on if I want to run the rule on an inserted CD or not.

Any guidance would be very much appreciated.

Thank you, stay safe.
Blutack

Re: Move files from DVD Fri May 08, 2020 9:33 am • by Mr_Noodle
Where is it getting the CD1 name from?

You could try and have Hazel monitor the /Volumes folder, which is where all mounted drives show up. Note that you will need to figure out a way to sort out other drives, such as your hard drives, or else you may be in store for a very nasty infinite loop.

Is the content on the CDs already sorted into subfolders or are you expecting Hazel to do that part?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Move files from DVD Fri May 08, 2020 10:17 am • by Blutack
I was hoping the Hazel could create a folder called CD1 for the first time I insert a CD and CD2 for the second time CD3 for the third etc.

How would you sort out the other drives?

Not all CD's have sub-folders
Blutack

Re: Move files from DVD Mon May 11, 2020 9:26 am • by Mr_Noodle
You could use Sort into subfolder with CD# where # is the counter attribute which would increment every run.

There are some really tricky ways to determine whether a file is a CD using shellscripts and such but I was hoping you'd be able to use something on your end, like the volume names or somesuch to differentiate them.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support