Recognise subsequent changes to the same file

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have a rule which looks at folder of Notability PDFs and when a file is created where <Date Added> <is after> <Date last Matched> it is copied to another folder.

So far so good.

The issue is that it copies the file before it is finished. For example, I open a Notability file during meeting to take notes. Notability creates the PDF more or less as soon as I start writing and the Hazel rule runs. And that’s how it stays. As the meeting progresses I continue to add to the note and Notability continues to update the PDF. The problem is that Hazel has already copied the PDF to its destination folder and I can’t work out a rule to make sure the final version of the PDF is copied and moved.
Tiff_Sunbacon

If you want all subsequent modifications to be copied, then try using Date Last Modified instead of Date Added.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:If you want all subsequent modifications to be copied, then try using Date Last Modified instead of Date Added.

Many thanks but that doesn't work either. (I have several other identical rules aimed at different folders.) I can see why it should work - it just doesn't :( :(
Tiff_Sunbacon

DOH! Found the problem: In Options I had "if file exists: do not copy file".
Tiff_Sunbacon

Return to Support