Run rules *only* on certain subfolder?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:33 pm • by peet
I have a folder called Daily Videos, and inside I have a folder for each daily video I shoot (Dogs, Cats, People). Inside each of those folders, there's an Original Footage folder that I put audio and video files into. What rules do I set up on Daily Videos so that any files I put into Cats/Original Footage will be renamed Cats.mov and Cats.wav, or any files I put into Dogs/Original Footage will do the same? In this image, I want mov_14.mov and wav_55.wav to be renamed Cats.mov and Cats.wav, and if I put another .wav then Cats2.wav. Same thing for any other folders I put into the Daily Videos folder.

Thanks!
peet

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 am • by Mr_Noodle
Make sure to read the chapter on "Subfolders" in the manual. You can modify the rule shown there to only go into certain folders. For instance, you can set it up such that on subfolder level 0 (the top level) to only go into the Cats subfolder but on other levels, go into any folder,. Give that a shot and report back if you still have problems with it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:46 pm • by peet
I did, and kept accidentally renaming People, Dogs, and Cats. Couldn't figure out how to make Hazel only run the rules on the Original Footage folders within them.
peet

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:59 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post the rules you are using?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:51 pm • by peet
Sure. Here's what I've tried.

When I do a Preview and check the file mov_1931.mov in the Original Footage, it matches the rule, but isn't renamed.

If this rule were working, then it would rename mov_1931.mov to Original Footage.mov, right? I actually want it to be renamed one subfolder UP from it's current - so mov_1931.mov would be Dogs.mov.

Also - I know I'm doing this wrong - I don't want to do it by file extension, but that was the only way I saw that would do it. I want every file I drop into in Dogs/Original Footage/ to be renamed Dogs.extension.
peet

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:48 am • by Mr_Noodle
Image isn't showing up. Make sure to use a public image hosting service. You can use imgur.com if you don't already have one.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:05 pm • by peet
Well that was dumb.

Fixed: https://imgur.com/a/WNaKr0f

peet

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:58 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you show the subfolder rule? That rule is for renaming but you need a separate rule to designate which folders to go into.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:47 pm • by peet
I think that's where I'm stuck. Do I need to set a rule on each new folder I make in Daily Videos? I was hoping this rule could apply to any folder called "Original Footage" inside Daily Videos/NewFolderName.
peet

Re: Run rules *only* on certain subfolder? Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:14 am • by Mr_Noodle
You need a rule to tell Hazel to go into subfolders and you need to tell it which ones to go into. At the top level, I'm guessing you want it to go into any folder then when one level down, you want it to go into the "Original Footage" folder. So, encode that logic in your conditions.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support