move files to relative folders

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

move files to relative folders Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:34 am • by jochenv
hi all,
I have a folder structure where several folders contain the same range of folders+subfolders.
I created a rule to move files in the folders to subfolders. Works great!
Now i need to move a file from the folder to a folder within a subfolder.
I tried using "sort into subfolder with pattern" and used the relative path of that folder in the pattern field. This created a new folder(\subfolder\folder) in the level of the file.

How can I tell Hazel that I mean the pattern to be the relative path to the destination?

Thanks a lot for your help!
best
jochen
jochenv

Re: move files to relative folders Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:58 am • by Mr_Noodle
Can you post a concrete example?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: move files to relative folders Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:16 pm • by jochenv
I have seperate folders for each country, containing folders for specific formats, some with subfolders

DE/video
DE/audio/mp3
DE/audio/wav

EN/video
EN/audio/mp3
EN/audio/wav

the files are dropped into the main folder (DE or EN for example) and should be moved to the correct folder, sorted by the ending. while i manage to get the video files sorted i wonder how i can express the path to the folder audio/mp3 or audio/wav

I have around 20 different main folders so it wouldn´t be nice to have to make a rule set for each country-folder:)

thx:-)
jochenv

Re: move files to relative folders Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:48 am • by jochenv
I think I got it now. Or is there a better way than moving the file in two steps with "move to subfolder"?
jochenv

Re: move files to relative folders Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:53 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can do it in one or two steps. You can specify multiple subfolder levels by using the folder separator token (it's the triangle pointing to the right).

Also, if these folders are all under a common folder, you can monitor the common folder and have Hazel go into subfolders. Check the manual as there's a whole chapter on this. You'll want to limit the folders it goes into as if it goes too deep, it could end up re-filing the files into deeper and deeper folders.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: move files to relative folders Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:05 am • by jochenv
thanks. i already read the chapter about the subfolders but didn´t seem to get my head around it yet. i have a working solution now so i can play around with the one-step-solution until i get it:-)
jochenv

Return to Support