Dropbox and Hazel

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Dropbox and Hazel Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 am • by smcaro@gmail.com
I read, try, and despair. Hazel has not been working with Dropbox on both my macs for a whole year now. Files in my Action folder, from which they are supposed to be sent to other folders also within my Dropbox local umbrella,are well over 15,000. And it used to work extremely well.

I give up with all this smartsync business. So my question is, where would you head and be SURE Hazel will work? Google Drive? Onedrive? I am on MacOs Catalina on both iMac and Macbook Pro.

Any personal experiences are welcome, and I will leave Dropbox and its recurring messages " This file is offline, Rules will start running when it is online again".

Thanks
smcaro@gmail.com

Re: Dropbox and Hazel Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:06 am • by Mr_Noodle
Dropbox should work fine as long as you keep all your files local. If files get removed and uploaded, Hazel can't do anything with them in that case.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox and Hazel Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:33 pm • by smcaro@gmail.com
I agree. My problem is that I mistakenly took my Dropbox on Smart Sync about a year ago, and there is no way back. New files are local, but not the nearly 15,000. That´s why I am giving up on Dropbox.
smcaro@gmail.com

Re: Dropbox and Hazel Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:54 am • by Mr_Noodle
It seems like turning off smart sync should have everything revert to local. It may take a while for everything to download though.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Dropbox and Hazel Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:55 am • by Dave61
smcaro@gmail.com wrote:I agree. My problem is that I mistakenly took my Dropbox on Smart Sync about a year ago, and there is no way back. New files are local, but not the nearly 15,000. That´s why I am giving up on Dropbox.

Why not use Selective Sync instead of Smart Sync?

I use this in combo with a rule on my iMac to keep my Dropbox folder under control. Files labelled "Archive" get moved to an external drive at home. If, for some reason, I need to access one of those whilst away from home there is still the option to get it via the Dropbox website.
Dave61

Return to Support