Only upload over ftp possible, no sync?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Only upload over ftp possible, no sync? Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:14 am • by Chopsticks
I've owned a license for Hazel, but over time I had no need for it anymore.

Until I upgraded to Catalina, as it appears it is no longer possible to use SMBv1 to access network folders. I use this connection to access a USB drive that acts as a buffer between macOS and a network scanner. There is no route toward other parts of the network, so either SMBv1 or ftp are not really a safety problem in this case.

macOS Catalina --- ftp --- file server --- USB drive (read/write) <-- scanner

Sadly macOS only let's me mount an ftp share as read-only for some reason. I was pleasantly surprised however to learn Hazel has a built-in ftp client, with which I can indeed upload and download files to the USB drive. But that appears to be it.

This is a partial solution, as the drive will now slowly fill up with files, which is undesirable. Isn't there a way to sync folders over ftp, i.e. also delete files over ftp?

To be clear: I am limited to SMBv1 or ftp with these devices and don't want to open SMB ports on macOS.
Chopsticks

Re: Only upload over ftp possible, no sync? Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:13 am • by Mr_Noodle
There isn't any way to do that with the current actions. What is the file server? Is it another Mac?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Only upload over ftp possible, no sync? Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:48 am • by Chopsticks
Mr_Noodle wrote:There isn't any way to do that with the current actions. What is the file server? Is it another Mac?

No, it's a cheap router that I only use to make the USB drive visible. But that firmware only uses ftp and SMBv1.

Is there a particular reason (other than time or non-urgency) to exclude ftp connections from the left side of the Hazel panel and/or only allow upload and no deletion?
Chopsticks

Re: Only upload over ftp possible, no sync? Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:39 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you can mount it as a drive, then you should be able to monitor it. That would require special software. Outside of that, though, Hazel can't monitor remote machines as there are large differences in how files are handled as well as the lack of file events.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support