TCCD process and bad Hazel rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

TCCD process and bad Hazel rules Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:34 am • by dombett
I've been a Hazel user for years, but this was a new one for me. Yesterday my 2017 iMac (Retina 5k) suddenly started experiencing hangs of several apps and major slowdowns. I couldn't launch System Preferences, CardHop was hanging, CleanMyMac, Alfred, and more were the same. When I'd open Console, the whole computer would stutter and slow down. And the tccd process was running high.

Long story, short: tccd is the process for the common contacts database (which a lot of different apps access, including CardHop and CleanMyMac and apparently Hazel). I had a rule in Hazel that moved files into a network-attached storage folder. Somehow that pointer to the folder got corrupted or messed up, which was causing the tccd database to go crazy, locking up everything else. I finally figured out which rule it was, deleted the move command and re-added it while pointing it back at the correct folder. Everything went back to normal.

So if you're experiencing problems with tccd running crazy and apps (even ones that aren't obviously connected to Contacts) hanging and freezing, check your rules.
dombett

Re: TCCD process and bad Hazel rules Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:58 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Thanks for the heads up. What folder was Hazel accessing and what was the rule doing?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support