Reset a file's "Date Added" field?

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Reset a file's "Date Added" field? Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:38 pm • by TheOneTrueRobb
Hi, sorry if this has been done to death....

Short Version: I need to reset a file's "Date Added" after a certain period of time. Obviously, there's no direct command in Hazel to do this, but I'm wondering if there's a workaround that doesn't involve AppleScript.

Long Version: I've got folders with Video files. I've got a set of rules that assign a Purple tag to any file that's been opened in the last 6 months, AND when "Date Last Opened" is after the "Date Added". That's working fine.

I've got a rule set that then removes the tag after 6 months. That part's working. This is where and when I also want to reset the Date Added. I've tried renaming (Name and extension. This works, but doesn't reset Date Added as I'd hoped). Also tried Copy (with the Replace Existing option) and Sync, to no avail. Damn.

Thanks for any clue you can toss my way....
TheOneTrueRobb

Re: Reset a file's "Date Added" field? Wed Dec 11, 2019 11:49 am • by Mr_Noodle
What's the reason for resetting date added?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Reset a file's "Date Added" field? Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm • by TheOneTrueRobb
Mr_Noodle wrote:What's the reason for resetting date added?

Well, basically I want to mark the file as "Watched Within the Last 6 Months", and then after 6 months, reset the file so that when/if I watch it again, it'll once again show as "Watched Within the Last 6 Months. Not a huge deal, it's more of an exercise at this point. The technique might come in useful at some point in the future, though.
TheOneTrueRobb

Re: Reset a file's "Date Added" field? Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:22 am • by Mr_Noodle
You can try setting a tag on it which you clear. Or you can use "Date last matched" instead, which reflects the last time the rule matched.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Reset a file's "Date Added" field? Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:35 pm • by TheOneTrueRobb
Mr_Noodle wrote:You can try setting a tag on it which you clear. Or you can use "Date last matched" instead, which reflects the last time the rule matched.

I'm actually keying in on Date Last Opened (Oh Mr. Occam, here's that razor you were asking about). This seems to be working the way I want it to.

Thanks for the help....!
TheOneTrueRobb

Return to Support