Hazel claims rule does not match – appears to be in error

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I have OCR'd scans and natively-generated pdfs with clearly selectable text. Both spotlight and Alfred (Inside Files) are able to locate the pdfs based on the text "account ending in 1234", however Hazel claims "Rule does not match" to the argument [Contents] [Contains] [account ending in 1234]. When I click the red error icon, I can clearly see that it does indeed match. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
eikelben

If you search for the text in Spotlight with quotes around it, does your file show up in the results? Hazel is looking for an exact phrase match so searching for the terms as individual words may not show up the same.

Also, have you tried "Contents contain match"?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

My results were inconsistent – some documents would match, others would not (the text was clearly evident in the OCR layer of the PDFs). Because of that I switched all of the rules over to Contents Contain Match and am now getting accurate results.
eikelben

I am also experiencing an issue using Contents Contain Match (searching for a date). In preview, the date clearly exists. I copied the date to a text editor to make sure I wasn’t missing any spaces, punctuation, etc. I have no idea what the issue is.
Paul99

Can you provide more details? How does the date look and what does your date pattern look like?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Mr_Noodle wrote:Can you provide more details? How does the date look and what does your date pattern look like?

I'm having a similar issue in that a rule that was looking for a contains match to "Bill Period: ,▫ Start Day, - ,▫ End Date"

where Start Day is in the format Dec 31 and End Date is in the format Dec 31, 1999 but it won't match on

"Bill Period: Sep 28 - Oct 27, 2020"

The matching worked in Hazel 4. I've tried copy/pasting the exact phrasing from the most recent bill into the rule in case there has been a slight format change or additional space, etc, but it still won't match. Note that the "Bill Period: ,▫ Start Day, - ,▫ End Date" contains 3 commas that separate elements of the search term which aren't visible in Hazel, but appear when I copy/paste into here.
ourstanley

Can you export the rule and send the relevant file in to support?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support