Logic for Rule

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Logic for Rule Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:47 am • by lgoler
I have two folders (will call them A and B) both with files of music and images (cover art). In Folder A, they are organized by Author--->Album>Songs & Cover Art. I want to create a rule to move, either the entire album folder and all that is contained in them (music and cover art) to the folder in A that corresponds to the correct Author from those being moved in B, or move the music and cover art and have Hazel create a new folder nested inside the Author as identified by the music file. I can't seem to get it right. Is there a way to have Hazel move the entire contents of a folder, and have Hazel look at the metadata of the music file to determine which folder to move into?

With the rule I created, I'm successfully having Flac files sorted into a new subfolder based on Author-->Album, but I can't seem to get the rule to move the .jpg files into the same newly created folder.
lgoler

Re: Logic for Rule Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:54 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you have the rule match the files (in conjunction with another rule to go into subfolders), you can use the option to copy over the folder structure. Alternatively, you can match the folder and copy that over. You can use nested conditions to match a folder using conditions to match files under it.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Logic for Rule Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 am • by lgoler
Mr_Noodle wrote:If you have the rule match the files (in conjunction with another rule to go into subfolders), you can use the option to copy over the folder structure. Alternatively, you can match the folder and copy that over. You can use nested conditions to match a folder using conditions to match files under it.

Very helpful. So if using the first option, would the rule want to have "Copy over Folder structure" prior to sorting the .flac files into a subfolder Authors-->Album, or after?

FYI, when I try and preview the rule for Any of The Following Conditions are Met for Any of Its Subfiles or Folders, and the condition = 1. Kind is Image or 2. Kind is Music, it gives me an error for one or the other. I've also tried using the extension but neither works?
lgoler

Re: Logic for Rule Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:24 am • by Mr_Noodle
If you copy over the folder structure, and it's already in the Author->Album structure, there shouldn't be any need to sort them into subfolder again.

As for the preview, I'm not sure what the issue is here. There's no way way that a file can be both an image and music so one or the other will always not match.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support