Help with naming older drafts

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Help with naming older drafts Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:17 am • by marcus
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting this script to work. Here is the issue I'm trying to solve:

I do a lot of writing. Each manuscript is often saved with a new date in the file name to ensure that I am always using the most current version. I figured Hazel might be able to assist in automatically renaming saved files by renaming them according to the date last modified. I'm wondering if it is possible to have 'older drafts' to be put into an 'Older drafts' subfolder and only keep the current most up-to-date version in the main folder. Let's call this Research Paper #1 folder. I've tried to create a rule that would sort documents based on "date last modified" and are "not among the most 1 recent" to be moved into the subfolder. Unfortunately, this is not working. All the files in the folder seem to be captured by the rule (even the most recent file) and none of them move into the subfolder. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong or how to capture these files more specifically.

Is there something glaringly wrong with my script? Is there a more efficient way to accomplish this goal?

Thank you!
marcus

Re: Help with naming older drafts Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:10 pm • by Mr_Noodle
Can you go through the troubleshooting guide here: https://www.noodlesoft.com/kb/hazel-tro ... ing-guide/
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support