Scripts cannot be edited in existing rules

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Hi,

I have a problem, where I can't edit custom scripts in existing rules. When I want to open a script editing popup, the UI just freezes. I don't think it is a problem with Catalina, since I can open the script editing popup in new rules. To me it looks like a data corruption. I've exported the rules and opened them as plist files, and it seems like the base64 coded script parts all point to the same applescript in one of the rules. Curiously, the rules continue to work, so it must be there.

Now, I don't have many rules and I don't mind creating them new if I have to. But how can I get my applescripts extracted?

I am on the most recent version of Catalina and Hazel 4.4.1
lycopodiopsida

Can you email in a video of this? Also, can you check for any crash dumps in ~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports (look for those by the legacyLoader process) and email those in as well?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Re: Scripts cannot be edited in existing rules Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:39 pm • by Xipper
I see this same exact problem, went to edit an embedded script that I've had for a couple of months...open the rule, click Edit script and it hangs and is completely unresponsive.

After futzing around with it for a while it finally had all of these invisible windows that were asking me if I wanted to discard changes. In my case I am trying to debug a painful memory leak in hazelworker that I suspect is related to my script.

It happens anytime I try freshly open System Preferences to edit, if I edit and leave Hazel prefs (but leave System Preferences open) it will work for repeated edits. `legacyLoader` shows as not responding in Activity Monitor as well, and then it recovers after "some period of time" (~150 seconds?).

MacOS 10.15.2
Hazel 4.4.2 (1575) & 4.4.3

Code: Select all
Dec 18 10:35:32 mac03 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.AccountProfileRemoteViewService[83607]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by AccountProfileRemoteViewService[83607]
Dec 18 10:35:32 mac03 com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.systempreferences.legacyLoader[83614]): Service exited due to SIGKILL | sent by legacyLoader[83614]

I do have a process Sample while legacyLoader is not-responding and a video of the problem.
Xipper

Re: Scripts cannot be edited in existing rules Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:08 pm • by Xipper
If Hazel is calling something from Apple Script Editor it may actually be a problem in Script Editor, I see similar problems in attempting to open dictionaries or edit scripts in Script Editor.
Xipper

Re: Scripts cannot be edited in existing rules Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:00 pm • by Xipper
Ok, so I solved this for my system. I have scripts that are moving content into DEVONthink (DT3), any script that I have that references
Code: Select all
application id DNtp
will hang _any_ script editor if DT3 is not actually open. I usually have DT3 open at all times, however closed it to conserve some battery power and I guess I forgot to open it again.
Xipper

Return to Support