Send email silently

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

Send email silently Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:48 pm • by project_guru
I have searched this forum for an answer but haven't found exactly what I'm looking for. I want to be able send and email when a file is uploaded to a particular folder in Dropbox.

Another thread in the forum suggests using AppleScript but I would like the email to be send silently (i.e., without opening any email application and interrupting any work I may be doing at any point in time).

I also looked into IFTTT but there's no option to change the recipient's email address. This won't work for me because I don't want to send the email to myself.

Is it possible to do what I need?

Thanks!
project_guru

Re: Send email silently Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:35 pm • by luomat
It is possible, but it would require a considerable amount of configuration (outside of Hazel) to make it work.

It would require some way to send mail from the command line. Traditionally that was done via the program 'sendmail' but there are lots of alternatives out there. I use 'msmtp' myself.

I wrote up instructions for this… good lord almost a decade ago:

https://www.engadget.com/2010/05/04/msmtp-a-free-tool-to-send-email-from-terminal/

I believe those instructions are pretty much the same in 2019, however, so if you want to go that way, msmtp is an option. If you use 'brew' it is very easy to install.

IF your question is: "Can Hazel send email through a GUI app without opening the GUI app?" then I think the answer is no.
luomat

Re: Send email silently Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:44 am • by project_guru
Thank you luomat.

In case I can't figure this out on my own, If I hire someone to do this for me say on Upwork or Fiverr. What qualifications should I seek in a candidate?

Thanks!
project_guru

Re: Send email silently Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:11 am • by thenewdarling
Have you considered sending it to yourself with the IFTTT solution you mentioned, and then having a mail rule in your email inbox to redirect it when an email arrives to yourself with a specific subject?

It's a bit roundabout but it's also set-it-and-forget-it and not very likely to fall over
thenewdarling

Return to Support