interacting with pattern inputs crashes system preferences

Get help. Get answers. Let others lend you a hand.

Moderator: Mr_Noodle

I'll start by saying that I'm running the macOS Catalina beta, which is almost certainly the root of my problem. I don't expect everything to work perfectly on a beta version, rather I'd like to bring attention to an issue I ran into so it can be fixed before release.

I wanted to edit the format of a counter in one of my patterns, but when I click the counter to open the dropdown system preferences crashes. All I can say beyond that is that it is entirely consistent and may have something to do with the touch bar judging from a cursory glance at the crash log.

Here's a link to the crash report:
https://pastelink.net/ya0u
¡ANTIMONY!

Yeah, everything points to the touchbar from that crash. Were you using it at the time?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

No, I was just trying to modify a pattern on the main screen. I would say it's because I'm running a modified touch bar through BTT, but the crash persists even while BTT isn't running, so I highly doubt that is the issue. It's hard to tell exactly what the touch bar is trying to display when the crash happens, but it does flash a few buttons as the crash happens only to vanish a few moments later. They look to be the control set for finder though, so it is probable that it's dropping the system preferences set after it crashes and switching to finder's, then quickly switching to the set for the crash report window as that gets focused. I really can't fathom what the touch bar would have to do with this crash, but the crash report definitely suggests that it has a lot to do with it.
¡ANTIMONY!

Have you tried uninstalling BTT altogether? Also, I'm seeing this is on Catalina which may also compound the problem. Can you replicate this on a Mojave system?
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

The only Mojave machine I have is an air, so I doubt I'd see a touch-bar related error, and I'd rather not change macOS version on this computer just for a short test. I suppose I can try uninstalling BTT, but I'm actively developing a preset for it and would rather not have to set everything back up as it grows in complexity.
¡ANTIMONY!

Well, make sure you send the report to Apple as well. I don't see any Hazel code in that trace so it may be something on their end.
Mr_Noodle
Site Admin

Return to Support